A Guide to Getting a UK Spouse Visa

To settle in the UK as the wife, husband or partner of a UK citizen, you need to apply for your own visa. This guide will describe what type of visa you should apply for and what the rules and restrictions are. With the telecommunications revolution, the telephone and online faxing became more accessible to people. Elation Lighting has been a developer and innovator of new technologies.
It can be exciting to move from one country to another alone, but moving as a couple can sometimes be a bit more challenging due to immigration rules. It is possible to move to the UK if you are a partner or spouse of a UK citizen or resident, although there are a few things to consider before applying. While working in the foreign exchange department of a major bank, data entry service. D misspelled a sort code and sent the money to unknown parties.

What is a spouse visa?
A UK spouse visa allows married or civil couples or cohabiting couples with UK citizens to move to the UK.

To be successful in obtaining a spouse visa, you will need to show a substantial amount of evidence about your relationship to show that you are eligible.

For example, you can provide

Your marriage certificates
Lease agreements / deeds to any property you own together
Evidence of communication while married, p. Eg phone call, message and email logs
Photographs together, specifically at important events such as your wedding day.


  • You intend or enter into a marriage or civil partnership together within six months of entering the UK – contact with the relevant governing bodies can be used as evidence
  • You intend to live together permanently once you are legally married/in a civil partnership – applications to view property together could suffice as evidence
  • You have previously met your partner
  • You have somewhere to live legally, even if it is temporarily
  • You can support yourselves and any dependents without having to work or rely on public funds

Fiancé Visa

In order to join your fiancée/fiancé, you have to apply for fiancé entry clearance or a suitable visa before traveling to the UK.

You should first apply for a fiancé visa if you plan on extending your stay with a spouse visa after the six months of your initial visa expires.

If the Home Office decide that you satisfy the above requirements for a fiancé/proposed civil partner visa you will be allowed to stay in the UK, but only for an initial six-month period.

Important! During this period, you by no means are allowed to work in the UK.

Once you legally marry, you are entitled to apply for further leave to remain in the UK by applying for a spouse visa, which will enable you to extend your stay.

If your application is successful, then you are legally permitted to live and work in the UK for two and a half years.

At the end of these two and a half years, you are able to apply for permanent residency if the two of you are still married and you fulfill all of the correct requirements.

Getting Married in the UK

If you want to marry her and leave within six months you should apply for a marriage visitor visa but be aware that you will not be allowed to extend this for longer than the six-month period without leaving the UK to apply for another type of visa.

If you are unsure of what visa is appropriate then it is advisable to seek legal immigration advice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button